Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

What Do You Mean You Don't Eat No Meat?

I've been dying to make a quesadilla for the past few days, and today I finally got my chance. When one thinks of a quesadilla, they picture a flour tortilla stuffed with chicken and cheese, then topped with a dollop of sour cream, essentially a Mexican dish. I wanted to go in a completely different direction with mine. Introducing the Greek quesadilla!



I had never made a quesadilla before, so I was a bit nervous to see how this was going to turn out, but all my worrying was done in vain because not only was this delicious, but it was really easy. 



I figured to make this into a Greek style quesadilla I would use the same basic ingredients that I would for a Greek omelette (spinach, mushrooms, and feta cheese). The combination turned out to be everything I hoped for and more. And of course, I added the filling to a multi-grain tortilla as opposed to a white, flour tortilla. 


Greek Quesadilla
  • 1 Whole wheat or multi-grain tortilla (I used Tumaro's Low Carb)
  • 1 Portabella mushroom cap (or 5-6 small mushrooms), roughly chopped
  • 1 oz. Feta cheese (I used President)
  • 2 Handfuls of spinach
  • 1 Slice of an onion (I used red), roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • Cooking spray
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a non-stick frying pan, over medium heat, with a little bit of cooking spray and add onions and garlic. Once onions become tender, add mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms have browned (about 2 minutes). Add the spinach and stir until all the leaves have wilted, remove from heat.
2. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place tortilla on top. Add filling to one side and top evenly with feta cheese. Fold tortilla over, move it to the middle of the baking sheet, and place in the oven. 
3. After about 10 minutes, remove baking sheet from the oven and use a spatula to gently flip the quesadilla over. Return to the oven for another 5 or 10 minutes (let the tortilla brown to your liking). Once it has finished baking, plate, cut, and serve!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total: 30 minutes


Nutrition: (One quesadilla) Calories: 250, Total fat: 15g, Sat. fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 20mg, Sodium: 403mg, Total carbs: 21g, Fiber: 11g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 16g

I really couldn't believe how easy this mouth-watering lunch was. I was absolutely certain that the filling would be too heavy for the tortilla, or I would burn the entire thing, but I really think a monkey could pull off this recipe. If you love dipping your quesadilla with a little something extra, you could use a low-fat sour cream, or even plain non-fat Greek yogurt! This is a pretty light meal, so I had a side of steam broccoli to help fill me up. I will definitely be making more quesadillas in the future, and I'm sure I'll try and come up with every filling combination under the sun to share. 


I feel like I've been in the kitchen all day (which is a pretty common occurrence) because I even did some baking before I made my lunch. We had these over-rippened bananas sitting on our counter for a few days and I laid claim to them so I could make use of them. I decided to make banana muffins because my father absolutely loves them. 


The recipe is definitely not dieting-friendly, so I won't tempt you by leaving it here, but they sure are a crowd pleasure in my household (them, and the apple variation I also make). I definitely plan on doing some healthy baking soon, so stick around to see what healthy treats I come up with next.



No comments:

Post a Comment