Search This Blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

The Breakfast of Champions

I truly believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I always make it a point to start off the day right. Usually, I have oatmeal every morning, but today I decided to change it up. 

The other day I bought MorningStar Farms Sausage Links because a fellow vegetarian had recently sung their praises to me. Now, I must confess that before I became a vegetarian I loved all of the things that you knew were awful and artery clogging, but you still ate anyway: chicken fingers, cheese burgers, ribs, and, most of all, sausage. Years ago, when I worked at a bagel store, my go-to break-time concoction was sausage, egg, and cheese on an everything bagel (Just imagining the calories is making me queasy!). Ergo, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this veggie sausage and see how it stacked up to my memories of the grease-filled synthetic casings I use to drool over. 

I decided to make a quick, light sandwich with my sausage links.


"Sausage" and Cheese Breakfast Muffin
  • 2 MorningStar Farms Sausage Links
  • 1 Light English Muffin
  • 1 Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss wedge
  • Tomato 
  • Spinach
1. First, microwave the sausage, and put the English Muffin in the toaster. 
2. Slice a tomato and grab a few leaves of spinach.
3. When the muffin is toasted to your liking, spread the wedge of cheese on one side.
4. After the sausage has been thoroughly heated, cut them in half length wise, and then again to create small "nuggets" to place on top of the cheese. Eat while still hot, and enjoy!

Nutrition: (Servings: 1) Calories: 224, Total fat: 5.6g, Sat. fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 687mg, Total Carbs: 31.5g, Fiber: 10.5g, Sugar, 2.6g, Protein: 16.8g

If you wanted, you could easily heat up an egg white, or two, and create a healthy sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich. 

What I loved about this sandwich is that not only do you get some vegetables incorporated into your breakfast, but you also get that savory, comfort-food feeling without all the calories and cholesterol.

No comments:

Post a Comment