Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Weight-loss Process: More Than Just Physical

So today when I was out running some errands when I ran into an old friend's mom who I hadn't seen in years. She couldn't believe how much weight I'd lost and how different I looked, but she also asked if I had a boyfriend, which is one question I don't get as often as "how did you lose the weight?" This playful question got me to thinking, "Gee, am I suppose to have a boyfriend now that I'm skinny?" I'm going to be pretty honest right now and confess that when I was at my heaviest, before I started to seriously diet, I knew that one of the main reasons why I did not have a boyfriend was because I was overweight. Not to say that those who are on the heavier side don't date or have significant others, what I'm saying is that when I was heavy, I had zero confidence. I would avoid looking in mirrors as much as I could because I knew that what I would see would not reflect the person I felt like on the inside. And I always thought that all I had to do was lose the weight and I would be beating off the guys with a stick. Don't get me wrong, I have noticed that I have been getting more attention from guys, but it is such a foreign concept to me that sometimes I feel like it's all one big, practical joke.


What I'm trying to say that even though I've lost so much weight and I feel great about my body, I'm still not 100% comfortable with it yet. Whenever I would watch wedding shows (yes, I'm obsessed with them, like every other woman in the world) and there would a woman who had just lost a significant amount of weight trying on gowns, they would always say that she still felt fat, and I thought every one of them were absolutely insane! But now, I can completely understand where they were coming from. The physical process of losing weight was long and arduous, but the mental process has taken even longer.


I have no idea how long it will take for me to get use to this new body, but when that day comes, I will truly be unstoppable. Going back to my story earlier, who knows when I will have a boyfriend. My physical transformation has definitely helped me gain attention, but I will have to become fully confident and comfortable with my body in order to let my personality shine.


So what's my point in this post? Well, if you're looking to lose weight in order to gain notice from the opposite, or same, sex, make sure you learn to love yourself first. Weight loss is not the solution to your single-life blues, trust me. Because even when you do lose the weight, you're still going to have that self-hating mentality, and that will hinder your chances of finding a significant other more than being overweight. Love yourself, then some will be able to love you, too. In the meantime, I'll be sitting in my boudoir waiting for my gentleman caller to finally arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment