Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lunch in a Pinch

When I was dieting in college, most of my meals in the dining hall consisted of steamed vegetables, brown rice, beans, and salad. My saving grace for variety came when my school added hummus to the salad bar. The day I made that discovery, I felt as though the Mediterranean gods had smiled upon me, and I was forever grateful for that gift. Well, at least until the semester ended and I could just get hummus when I moved back home.

I began making different variations of hummus sandwiches at least a couple times a week. Even some of my non-dieting friends would look at my creations with envious eyes and be forced to abandon their plates of  cookies and cake for their own hummus sandwich. This vegetarian sandwich is now my go-to  quick lunch, and it keeps me satisfied for hours. I always toast whatever bread I use for this sandwich, otherwise it's just like biting into a mushy mess. You can use a deli-flat, an English muffin, or a slice of whole-wheat bread for an open face sandwich. Recently, I decided to try something a little different and make a hummus burrito.


Hummus Burrito
  • 1/4 c. Hummus (I use Sabra)
  • 1 Whole-wheat or multi-grain tortilla (I use
  • 1 Thin slice of red onion
  • 2 Baby bell peppers, sliced
  • 3 Slices of tomato
  • 1 Small handful of leafy greens (I used spring mix and baby spinach)
1. Heat the tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds so it becomes flexible.
2. Spread hummus, thickly, in the center of the tortilla. Top hummus with vegetables and greens.
3. Fold burrito-style, and presto! You've got yourself one quick lunch. 


Nutrition: (One burrito) Calories: 275, Total fat: 12g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 348mg, Total carbs: 36g, Fiber: 14g, Sugars: 8g, Protein: 13g

Pair this healthy burrito with a salad, baked sweet potato, fruit salad, or vegetable and you've got the perfect lunch, without the fuss. You could easily make this ahead of time and wrap it in foil for a quick meal when you're on the-go. 



No comments:

Post a Comment