I began making different variations of hummus sandwiches at least a couple times a week. Even some of my non-dieting friends would look at my creations with envious eyes and be forced to abandon their plates of cookies and cake for their own hummus sandwich. This vegetarian sandwich is now my go-to quick lunch, and it keeps me satisfied for hours. I always toast whatever bread I use for this sandwich, otherwise it's just like biting into a mushy mess. You can use a deli-flat, an English muffin, or a slice of whole-wheat bread for an open face sandwich. Recently, I decided to try something a little different and make a hummus burrito.
- 1/4 c. Hummus (I use Sabra)
- 1 Whole-wheat or multi-grain tortilla (I use
- 1 Thin slice of red onion
- 2 Baby bell peppers, sliced
- 3 Slices of tomato
- 1 Small handful of leafy greens (I used spring mix and baby spinach)
2. Spread hummus, thickly, in the center of the tortilla. Top hummus with vegetables and greens.
3. Fold burrito-style, and presto! You've got yourself one quick lunch.
Nutrition: (One burrito) Calories: 275, Total fat: 12g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 348mg, Total carbs: 36g, Fiber: 14g, Sugars: 8g, Protein: 13g
Pair this healthy burrito with a salad, baked sweet potato, fruit salad, or vegetable and you've got the perfect lunch, without the fuss. You could easily make this ahead of time and wrap it in foil for a quick meal when you're on the-go.