Cheesy Quinoa and Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1/4c. quinoa, dry
- 1/2c. chic peas, rinsed
- 2 handfuls of brussel sprouts (about 5-10), halved and the brown ends cut off
- 1oz. (about 1/4c.) crumbled goat cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested (optional)
- thyme, salt, and pepper to taste
2. Begin cooking quinoa according to package instructions in a medium size pot.
3. After 5-10 minutes, put the brussel sprouts in the oven to roast. They should only take about 15 minutes, so keep checking them.
4. When quinoa is almost finished cooking, add the chic peas to the same pot.
5. The sprouts and and quinoa should be done around the same time. The sprouts should just start to brown, but not be too crispy. Remove from the oven and add them to the quinoa pot. Add the lemon juice and zest and stir to combined. Finally, add the cheese and stir until it has melted and become completely incorporated. Serve hot and enjoy the comforting goodness.
If the thought of eating brussel sprouts sends a shutter down your spine, I highly suggest giving them a shot with this recipe. When roasted, brussel sprouts no longer have that bitter taste and they won't be gross and mushy. Plus, everything is better with cheese, I mean, am I right, or am I right?