Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The End of One Chapter

I've been anticipating writing this entry for about a week now, and it's finally time for me to make this announcement. The reason I waited was because I wanted to make sure things were official and settled before I told anyone about this major change. What's the change you ask? Well, if you know me, then you know that I am a college junior pursuing an English literature degree. Actually that's a lie. I was pursuing an English literature degree, until today. Today I am officially on the path to pursuing a degree in nutrition and food science with a concentration in dietetics, so that I may become a Registered Dietitian. 


Yeah, I told you, it's a pretty big change. But this is something that I have been thinking about for a little while now, and I'm absolutely in love with the idea. I can't imagine doing anything else with the rest of my life. During and after my weight-loss, so many people joked that I should become a nutritionist, or be their personal trainer, or write a diet book, and for a while I just laughed off the suggestions. That is until I realized that deep down, it's seriously what I wanted to do. I love learning about nutrition and helping others live a more healthy life. It is my passion. 


I know the road ahead is going to be a difficult and bumpy one, littered with laborious science courses, sleepless nights, and massive amounts of stress, but are things that are worth having ever easy to obtain? No. Life is always going to be kicking me in the ass somehow, so I may as well make sure that I enjoy the end result when the assault is over. 


Since it's the end of July, I had to enroll for the fall semester at my local community college, and then in the spring I will be attending an institution that has a didactic program in dietetics. The decision to completely step out of my comfort, transfer schools, and leave my friends was not an easy one. But in the end, I realized that if fear was the thing that was holding me back, I had to dive into those fears head first. I have never been more happy or certain about a decision in my life. You always hear growing up that everyone has a calling in their life. Well, I struggled for years to figure out what my calling was, but it took me a complete life-style change, 70 pounds, and 20 years to realize what mine was. 


I'm both nervous and excited about this transition in my life, but in the end, I know it will all be worth it. Never in my life have I been more motivated and determined, and from past experience I know that that is a winning combination. I don't know exactly what the future holds, or where the winding roads on this journey will lead me, but I've got my seatbelt on and I'm ready for the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment