Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Something Fishy is Going on Around Here

If you know me, you know I love all kinds of seafood. And if you know how I am in the kitchen, I'm always trying to come up with new ways to prepare the same old filets. For my dinner tonight I had a plan: low-carb fish tacos. It's not that I'm against tortillas, but I knew I didn't have any whole wheat tortillas in the house. Then, as quickly as I realized I was sans tortillas, it dawned on me that I also did not have a head of iceberg lettuce (we have heads of romaine, but trust me, those leaves do not make for good lettuce wraps—that is, unless you enjoy taco-juices running down your hands and arms like a toddler learning to feed themselves). So, when all else failed, I chose to simply make a fish taco salad.

I love salads because you can throw whatever you want in a bowl and viola! You've created a quick and taste meal. That being said, my recipe for this dish can morph into anything you desire. Tonight, I cooked tilapia, but you could easily substitute any flaky, white fish or shrimp for your salad. And if you're dying to add more vegetables or spice, be my guest! My philosophy is work with what you have, just make it delicious and nutritious.


Tilapia and Portabella Taco Salad
  • 1/2 c. Sliced red onion
  • 1 c. Sliced bell pepper (any color)
  • 1 Tbsp Minced garlic
  • 1 tsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
  • 1 Portabella mushroom cap (sliced)
  • 4 oz. Tilapia filet
  • 1 tsp Tobasco sauce
  • 1/4 c. Wholly Guacamole (or homemade guac)
  • 2 heaping Tbsp Salsa 
  • 6 Romaine leaves
  • 1 c. Spring mix
  • Lime juice
  • Crushed red pepper
  • Salt and pepper to taste


1. Add 1/2 tsp of EVOO to a skillet on medium heat. Toss in garlic, onions, and peppers, sprinkle with salt and sauté until onions and peppers are tender. 
2. Make room in the center of the pan for your fish, add remaining 1/2 tsp of EVOO and place fish on top. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper, then add a few squirts of lime juice to fish and vegetables. When the fish begins to turn white, flip it over and season. Add crushed red pepper and Tobasco to your liking. 
3. While fish is cooking, add the portabella slices and incorporate among the other vegetables. Add lime juice as needed to keep contents of the pan moist. 
4. When fish is thoroughly cooked, cut it into 1/2-1 inch chunks with the spatula. Gently mix in with vegetables and let simmer on a low light. 
5. Chop romaine leaves and toss spring mix into a bowl. Top with sautéd vegetables and fish. Finally, add the guacamole and salsa. 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total meal: 20 minutes

Nutrition: (Servings: 1) Calories: 425, Total fat: 17g, Sat. fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 40mg, Sodium: 595mg, Total carbs: 36g, Fiber: 13g, Sugar: 13g, Protein: 30g


This meal really hit the spot after I got back from the gym, and thankfully it didn't take too long. I love salads like this that don't require any dressing because the juices from the vegetables and fish are dressing enough without all the unnecessary calories found in a restaurant style salad. I can't wait to make this again and have actual tacos, but for tonight's dinner, this salad delivered just enough kick to satisfy any grumbling stomach.



No comments:

Post a Comment