Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2012

Pie For Breakfast? Why Not!

It's no secret that I am madly in love with oatmeal; it's so versatile, you can add almost anything and you have a healthy breakfast that keeps you full for hours. 


During the summer I always take advantage of the fresh berries that are in season, but I wanted something a little different this morning. A few months ago I think I had pureed pumpkin in my oatmeal for a solid week or two, every day. I mean, once you open the can you need to make sure you don't waste it! So now I will be eating some variety of pumpkin oatmeal for the next few days, but I'm not complaining. 



This bowl of deliciousness is going to be a new favorite of mine, Peanut Butter Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. If you love Thanksgiving or pumpkin pie, you will fall head over heels for this breakfast. It's slightly sweet, nutty, and, best of all, extremely creamy. 

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
  • 1/2 c. Rolled oats
  • 1 T. Ground flaxseed
  • 1 c. Water (or low-fat, or non-dairy milk)
  • 1/4 c. Pumpkin puree
  • 1 T. Creamy peanut butter
  • Cinnamon
1. Combine oats and ground flax in a bowl, add water and cook according to directions on package. 
2. When oatmeal is finished to your liking, stir in pumpkin, peanut butter, and cinnamon to taste. 
Prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 3 minutes
Total: 3 minutes

Nutrition: (one bowl) Calories: 320, Total fat: 15g, Sat fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 85mg, Total carbs: 42g, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 12g 

Wow, I didn't realize how balanced this breakfast was until I wrote down the nutrition information. Not only is this filled with healthy fats and protein, but twelve grams of fiber?! That's a number you're not going to find in a bowl of sugar-coated cereal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment