During the school year I eat soup so often that I recommend everyone buy stock in Healthy Choice at the end of August. I bought so much soup last semester that I wound up bringing a few containers home, but they have been neglected because I am too busy stuffing my gob with fresh vegetables and fruit. Yesterday, I was determined to get a steaming bowl of soup in my belly, but, of course, I needed to put my own, crazy spin on it.
When I got this idea, even I thought that I had lost my mind. My plan was to take a carton of portobello soup, cook brown rice in said soup, then add broccoli and an actual portabello mushroom cap, and let everything simmer in the pot. And guess what...I did just that, and it was delicious!
Okay, okay, so it's not the most beautiful thing that I've ever made, but didn't your Mama ever tell you not to judge a soup before you tried it? Or maybe she said something more to the effect of, "Shut up, and eat it." Either way, if you're not an experienced cook and you're looking for something healthier than a microwavable pizza, soup is the way to go. I added a bunch of vegetables and a serving of brown rice to this simple soup, and it was as satisfying and filling as a hearty winter stew.
Creamy Portobello Soup with Broccoli and Rice
- 2 c. Organic Imagine Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup (1 container)
- 1/4 c. Trader Joe's brown basmati rice (any dry brown rice will work)
- 1 Portobello mushroom cap, cut into 1/2-1 inch chunks
- 2 c. Broccoli flowerets, raw, stems cut off
2. Once rice has finished cooking (about 10-15 minutes), bring down to the simmer and add broccoli and mushrooms. Stir contents for few seconds, then cover pot.
3. Remove lid and check broccoli to see if it has cooked through. If not, stir and return lid. When broccoli and mushrooms are soft, and the flowerets are a bright green, remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
Nutrition: (Makes one serving) Calories: 410, Total fat: 7, Sat. fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 848mg, Total carbs: 71g, Fiber: 12, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 18g