Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

An Introduction is in Order

My name is Kathleen, more commonly known as Kat, and I am a 20 year-old college student trying to find balance and happiness in this bustling world. For years I struggled with my weight, body image issues, and shrinking self-confidence. Like most people, I tried almost every fad diet on the market, but nothing ever seemed to stick. At the beginning of 2011 I even became a vegetarian (technically, pescetarian) in hopes that the lifestyle change would help me get healthy. But after months of eating healthier, the number on the scale was just as disappointing as it always had been. I would lose ten, or so pounds and gain it, and then some, all back before you could say, "Triple-chocolate fudge brownie." Finally, in November of 2011 I kicked my ass into serious-health-nut mode, and at long last, it finally worked the way I had always imagined that it would. 

My secret? Ah yes, it's what everyone has asked me since I lost the weight. To everyone's surprise, and visible disappointment, the secret is diet and exercise. When you take in less calories than you are burning, you will lose weight. It is as simple as that. I cut out sweets, junk food, and highly processed foods and loaded up on vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. I had no such thing as a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal." I discovered from all of my failed diets that if I gave myself an inch, I would take a mile; giving into a craving usually resulted in a junk-food binge, which led to an insane amount of guilt and self-loathing. Was it easy? Hell no. Especially not as a stressed college student. Was it worth it? Absolutely. 

The bottom line is that people just eat too much food, and usually that food has a very low nutritional value. The reason why so many people's diets fail is because they get bored of eating the same, bland food day-in and day-out. I have always had a passion for cooking, so my goal throughout my diet was to create delicious, nutritious, low-calorie meals, even in college. 

This blog is going to be a combination of recipes, inspiration, struggle, advice, and humor. I am not an expert, but if the numbers are any indication, I do have an idea of what I'm babbling about. 

Quick Facts:
Starting Weight: 198
Current Weight: 127
My diet is mostly plant-based and I work out six days a week.
I eat every 2-4 hours.
Favorite junk food: Ice cream, chocolate, cheese
Favorite healthy food: Oatmeal, broccoli rabe, beans, avocados, almonds, seafood

September 2010:                                                                 June 2012:
 

If you're about healthy living, cooking, or looking to make a lifestyle change, continue to check out my blog! And remember, hard work always pays off in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment