Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Sweet Treat: Peanut Butter and Banana Freezer Cookies

Last night, standing in my kitchen, I noticed that the bunch of bananas on the counter were on the verge of being inedible. They were too ripe to eat by themselves, but not quite ripe enough for baking. I decided to conduct a food experiment. Everyone knows that the cool, new thing to do with bananas is to freeze them and then make "ice cream," but I didn't want to do that. Instead, I wanted to make flour-less, no-bake, freezer cookies. I had never seen a recipe online for something like this, so I was really taking a gamble when I whipped these bad boys up last night.



I was so tempted to just eat the entire bowl last night, it looked and smelled like heaven. Obviously you can eat this without putting them in the freezer because it's an eggless, no-bake batter, but then you don't really feel like you're eating a cookie! I think the best part about this recipe is that because the bananas are so sweet, there's no need to add any sugar or sweetener. Imagine that, a cookie with no added or artificial sugars. These cookies truly are divine. 


Peanut Butter and Banana Freezer Cookies
  • 2 Ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 c. Old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
  • 1/4 c. Natural creamy peanut butter
  • Dash of cinnamon
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and evenly drop six balls of dough on top (This recipe makes six large cookies, but you can easily make twelve small ones).
3. Place cookies in the freezer in position that will be sturdy and keep the tray even. Freeze for at least 4-6 hours, but overnight is best. 
4. When cookies are completely frozen, cut waxed paper and completely wrap the cookies so that they will not stick to each other (you will probably need to use more than what was originally on the baking sheet). If saving for later, store wrapped cookies in a freezer bag. Serve frozen.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 4-6 hours
Total: At least 4-6 hours

Nutrition: (one large cookie) Calories: 150, Total fat: 6g, Sat. fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 51mg, Total carbs: 22g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 4g


Nom! These may be the most delicious, health-concious cookies I've ever had. All the flavor, without the guilt. The frozen bananas give these cookies an ice-cream-like texture, the peanut butter provides the creaminess, and the oats add the chew that you want in a good cookie. It's the perfect size for a little treat. I think next time I'll add some dark chocolate cocoa powder instead of the cinnamon for peanut butter cup freezer cookies! I'm sure add-ins like raisins and chocolate chips would also add some great flavor to these delightful little cookies. I highly recommend trying these babies out if you've got a chronic sweet tooth like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment