Pasta is that pantry staple that cooks quickly and is really hard to screw up. People on diets generally shy away from carbs like pasta, but if you're eating the suggested portion and buy whole-grain, there is no reason to fear. Adding a ton of veggies is a great way to make a small portion of macaroni healthy and filling.
Easy Spinach and Tomato Pasta
- 2 oz. Whole wheat or whole grain pasta, any shape, dry (I used Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
- 1/2 c. Hunt's Diced Tomatoes, no salt added basil, oregano, garlic
- 2 c. Spinach
- 1/4 c. Part-skim mozzarella, shredded
2. When pasta is al dente, drain, and return to pot. Add tomatoes, spinach, and two pinches of cheese. Stir until ingredients are combined.
3. Pour pasta into a bowl and top with remaining mozzarella.
Prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Nutrition: (Serves 1): Calories: 310, Total fat: 6g, Sat. fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 242mg, Total carbs: 52g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 17g
This is perfect for that meal you really don't want to spend a lot of time on, or if you're in a hurry. Because the tomatoes are already seasoned, you don't even have to spend the extra time and pan sautéing them. Eat this with a nice salad and you've got yourself a filling meal without the effort an guilt!