All summer I have been having an affair with portobello mushrooms. I can be seen sautéing them, steaming, or, my personal favorite, stuffing them.
Portobellos are one of my new favorite foods because they can be used in a side, or as the entree; they can be cooked quickly if you're in a hurry, or nursed if you have plenty of time on your hands.
Fast Greek Stuffed Portobellos
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps, stems and some of the innards removed
- 1/4 c. Hummus (I used Sabra Tuscan Herb)
- 1/2 c. Chick peas
- 1 oz. Crumbled feta
- 2 T. Sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
2. In a small bowl, mash the chick peas and add the hummus and sun-dried tomatoes. Mix until preferred consistency.
3. Remove mushrooms from the microwave and pat them dry. Divide hummus mixture between the portobellos, top with feta cheese and a pinch of basil.
4. Heat the finished product in the microwave to warm the hummus and cheese. It should take about 30-45 seconds. Serve when heated to preference.
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total: < 10 minutes
Note: This recipe can also be done completely in the oven at 450 degrees, but it will take much longer.
Nutrition: (One portobello): Calories: 210, Total fat: 8g, Sat. fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 323mg, Total carbs: 24g, Fiber: 9g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 12g
Just looking at this makes me hungry! I think it's time for a snack now...
Something to think about: What's your favorite type of cuisine?