Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pleasantly Surprised

My post-work out breakfast is always oatmeal, but today I decided to switch things up...kind of. 

Last night, I was browsing through Kath's blog (one of my favorites) and I stumbled across a recipe of hers, the Dough Boy Smoothie, and as soon as I stopped drooling, I headed to the kitchen to prepare it. The breakfast is a cross between overnight oats and a smoothie, so I was still going to get my oatmeal fix after the gym. 

Apparently, I was so excited to make the recipe that I misread the instructions. The recipe says to stick all the ingredients in the blender and let it sit in the fridge overnight, to thicken, then blend in the morning. I blended everything the night before, then put the mixture in a bowl in the fridge. Whoopsie! 

I realized this soon after I finished, but I definitely was not going to waste everything to make it again. So I went to bed last night a little nervous because I didn't know what I was going to find the next morning. 

To my surprise, everything in the bowl still thickened like it was suppose to! I was definitely thanking my lucky stars as I headed to the gym. 

When I got home, I emptied the mixture into a microwave-safe bowl and boy, it sure was thick. I live for super thick oatmeal so I was on cloud nine scooping out this new creation. The original recipe says to add more milk in the morning, blend, and serve cold. But I figured, since I already made the recipe my own from the start, I might as well just keep on following my crazy ideas. 

So, I popped my oatmeal in the microwave. And as I heated and stirred, and heated and stirred, I realized that a cake-like texture was beginning to form. This was the final result...


My oatmeal had blueberries and a half of a banana, hence the color. It definitely was no longer a smoothie, but it also wasn't a traditional oatmeal. Therefore, I introduce to you, the delectable, the delicious, the decadent, the Overnight Oatmeal Cake!


I loaded this "cake" up with sweet, salty, and savory toppings, as you can see. By the first bite, I had died and gone to heaven. Toppings include: walnuts, broken-up Kashi dark mocha almond chewy bar, PB2 (with extra water to make it running for drizzling on top), and puffed kamut cereal. Like I said, I'm currently sitting on an oatmeal cloud, blogging this from nirvana. The topping superstars were definitely the Kashi bar, with it's chocolatey goodness, and the slightly salty and melting PB2. I gave myself a pat on the back for that combo. 

Now, if you're on a diet, you may not want to add as many topping as I did because my bowl was a whopping 630 calories (oatmeal cake by itself is 345 calories). But I love having a hearty and filling breakfast that will fuel me for the rest of my day, so if you're just managing your weight like I am, go right ahead and fill-up your bowl. 

Overnight Oatmeal Cake
Adapted from Kath Eats Real Food
  • 1/2 c. Rolled oats, dry
  • 1/3 c. Plain low-fat yogurt
  • 3/4 c. Milk (I use plain, un-sweetend almond milk)
  • 1/2 Banana
  • 1/3-1/2 c. Fruit of choice, or other half of banana 
  • 1 T. Chia seeds, or ground flax seeds (essential for a more cake-like texture)
1. Add all ingredients in a blender, mix, then store overnight in a bowl so it can thicken.
2. The next day, heat the thickened mixture in a bowl until hot.
3. Add toppings and enjoy!

The texture of the oatmeal is a cross between a cooked cake and cake batter. It's not in any way runny like batter, but it also isn't light and fluffy like a cake. This recipe make a very dense, very moist cake. I cannot wait to make this again.

Something to think about: Have you ever made a mistake in the kitchen that turned out to be a miracle?


No comments:

Post a Comment