Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Change is Good

If there's one thing I love, it's brown rice. I can get my carb fix, but it's still full of vitamins and minerals. Brown rice is usually a staple for anyone on a diet, but last night I was looking to shake things up a bit. I decided to make my dinner with wild rice. It takes longer to cook and has a different texture, but it provides more protein and less carbohydrates than brown rice. Usually wild rice is served as a side dish with a combination of brown rice, but I wanted to just have the wild rice with my meal.


Simple Mushroom Shrimp with Wild Rice
  • 1/4c. Wild rice, dry
  • 3 oz. Shrimp, deveined, tails removed
  • 1/2-1c. Mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Medium slice of a yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 T. Garlic, minced
  • Cooking spray
  • Juice of one lemon wedge
  • Basil
  • Thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1. Follow cooking instructions for wild rice. It usually takes about 40 minutes for it to finish cooking.
2. In a small sauce pan, lightly coated with cooking spray, over medium heat, add garlic and onions. Very lightly salt. Sauté until onions are translucent. 
3. Toss in mushrooms and shrimp and continue to stir frequently. Drizzle with lemon juice and season to taste. (If shrimp are uncooked, cook before hand and toss in with mushrooms so they don't over cooked)
4. Serve shrimp mixture over rice and enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total: 50 minutes

Nutrition: (serves 1) Calories: 265, Total fat: 3g, Sat. fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 86mg, Sodium: 300mg, Total carbs: 38g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 24g

Of course if you don't have, or don't like wild rice, this dish can be easily served with brown rice. Not taking into account how long the rice takes, the recipe is done in a short amount of time. I had this with a big salad and was so full afterwards! I'm excited to experiment more with wild rice and see what I come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment