Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Absolutely Exhausted

I have completely neglected my pretty, little blog these past few days. It's just that I've been so tired that whenever I get free time, I just want to lay around and watch TV. Today is no exception. 

Don't get me wrong, I haven't just been laying around in my pajamas, eating bon-bons, watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, I've been busy. Today, I thought was going to be a more relaxing, re-charge kind of day, but it has not turned out that way. 

I woke up totally energized, ate some dry cereal and the best peach I've had all summer, and headed out to the gym. My spirits were so high this morning that I knew I wanted to have a decent run today. I've been cutting back on my running because my knee that bothered me when I was overweight had been acting up. But today I had a nice run during my workout, and even though I really pushed myself, I still had a lot of energy. 

Like I said, I wanted to re-charge today, but after I had my breakfast, a delicious bowl of oatmeal (of course), I realized that I had a project that I needed to get a move on. My mission this summer has been to paint my bedroom furniture that I've had for about 15 years. It use be my mother's from when she was a child, so the set is about 50 years old. I did the night stand about two weeks ago, and today I did the tall chest of drawers. Emptying, cleaning, sanding, painting = exhaustion. My legs are very angry at me for running and then doing physical labor on top of it. Needless to say, I will sleep well tonight. 

But enough about me, this is a healthy living blog! 

Need some ideas for a quick lunch? Well I have two that I made this week that can easily be customized to suit your taste. 


A Taco Salad is always my go-to lunch when I want to get a filing meal in one bowl. 


A salad like this for me usually always includes romaine lettuce (One small head), brown rice (1/4 c. dry), black beans (1/3-1/2 c.), chopped peppers and onions, salsa, guacamole, shredded cheddar (very rarely), cilantro and hot sauce. This salad has so many toppings, there is no need for a dressing, but you could always drizzle it with a little lime juice to moisten it. It's just like getting a burrito bowl at Chipotle (minus all the extra sodium and grease). 

If you're not in the mood for a salad, or you're just a lunch-time sandwich eater, I made a Quick Shrimp Sandwich


This simple and fast sandwich is only 4 cooked shrimp (tails removed), 100 calorie deli flat, guacamole (as a condiment), red onion, tomato, romaine, and crushed red pepper flakes. Including the time it took for me to boil the frozen, raw shrimp, this sandwich took less than 10 minutes to assemble. And the lean protein will keep you satisfied until your afternoon snack or dinner. When I ate this, I also had fresh veggies, a small sweet potato, and a small handful of cherries for dessert. Totally stuffed. 

Something to think about: Do you make sure to get a healthy lunch when you're busy or in a hurry?


No comments:

Post a Comment