Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Daily Dose of Lycopene

If there's one thing I love about living in New Jersey it's the fact that we have the greatest tomatoes during the summer, and I just can't get enough of them! It's funny because when I was younger, and before I became a vegetarian, I hated eating tomatoes. I loved ketchup, but I couldn't stop the thought of just eating a slice of tomato. I was the cliché, sugar-loving, chubby kid who despised anything healthy.

What a difference in my tastebuds today.

The other day there were so many ripened tomatoes on my counter, I knew I had to gobble some up before they went bad. So, I figured, what better way to enjoy the flavors and juices of these tomatoes than with a simple tomato salad.


Tomato Salad
Serves 2-4
  • 2 Whole tomatoes, cut into large chunks
  • 1 T. Olive oil
  • 1/4 c. Red onion, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Basil
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir. Can be served room temperature or chilled.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total: 5 minutes

I ate my tomato salad on top a bed of greens, but it can easily be eaten by itself as a side dish. It's perfect to make for a summer BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment