Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Finally

A day off from work, at long last! I enjoyed waking up early this morning to head out to the gym. Call me crazy, but I love mornings. I use to hate waking up early, but ever since I lost weight and got active,  my every has picked up significantly, especially in the early hours of the day. It's a good thing I enjoy mornings now because tomorrow I start classes for the Fall semester and every weekday I will have class at 8am. I'm strangely excited to begin classes, probably because it will give me something else to do besides work and cook. It will be interesting to see how I balance classes, school work, regular work, and staying healthy all at the same time. When I was losing weight I didn't have a job to commit time to, so it was easy for me to get my work done and still have time for the gym. This will just force me to plan a little more so my days go smoothly. 

Speaking of planning, it was nice to not have to pack meals or snacks to take to work today. But I have gotten into the habit of repeating recipes that I'm really into lately.

It's no secret that I love oatmeal in the morning (or any time of day!), but yesterday I tried something new and I fell madly in love with this new bowl of oatmeal. 

I wanted some extra protein in my oatmeal, and instead of adding yogurt or cottage cheese, I wanted something that would pack a bigger punch for less calories. Solution: egg whites!

Taken with Instagram

Introducing, Fluffy Whipped Oatmeal. I couldn't believe how fluffy and dense the oatmeal had gotten after I added the egg whites. Definitely one of the best decisions I've made for breakfast in a very long time. This bowl included 1/2 c. of oats, 1 1/3 c. water, 1 T. chia seeds, 3 egg whites, 1 banana, 0.5 oz. pecans, and cinnamon. So filling, I can't even begin to describe how perfect this was. You can add less egg whites, different fruit, or substitute milk for water for whatever you're in the mood for. 

If you want to add egg whites to your oatmeal, the best way to do so is buy cooking everything stovetop. Add your water and oats and bring to a boil. Continue to stir and turn down the heat, this is when I added the chia seeds and a little more water. Once all the liquid has been absorbed, remove the pot from the flame. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they have become a little frothy, then slowly pour them into your oats, stirring quickly and constantly. You will be able to see the egg whites turning white, but keep stirring so they mix in with the oats and don't scramble. After that, I added my mashed banana, and instead of waiting for the oatmeal to heat on the stove again, I pour the mix into a bowl and microwaved it for about a minute. Finally, I topped it with my pecans and cinnamon and chowed down. 

The egg whites make the oatmeal fluffy, and slightly doughy. If you love oatmeal and have a little extra time in the morning (cooking them stove top only took me about 5 minutes), I highly recommend adding some egg whites. The protein will keep you satisfied for hours, I promise. 

For lunches, my go-to meal has become salads. They're easy to make before work, and I can easily throw on top a huge bowl of greens whatever is in my fridge for a filling meal. 

Taken with Instagram

Taco Salads are a staple in my diet because I love Mexican food and I love salad! A typical taco salad includes romaine lettuce, black beans, red onion, bell pepper, salsa, guacamole, cilantro and lime juice. Occasionally I will add brown rice, Boca Crumbles, reduced fat cheddar cheese, or tomatoes, depending on my mood. 

This summer I have really gotten into using eggplant in a lot of my meals, usually as the star ingredient. Lately, I have been turning back to the same recipe because I just can't seem to get enough of it!

Taken with Instagram 

Balsamic-Lemon Eggplant with Chickpeas, Tomato, and Mushroom. This picture was actually taken before work because I made this for my dinner, hours in advance. The recipe includes cubed eggplant, 1 whole tomato, 1 portobello mushroom cap, 1/2 c. chick peas, garlic, onions, Italian seasoning, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice. Everything is cooked in one sauté pan and it is delicious. I think I had it three times in one week!


Well, I've shared some of my new favorites, do you have any favorite recipes that you never get tired of eating?



No comments:

Post a Comment