Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It's a Fiesta

There are some healthy goods that are so delicious that sometimes you feel guilty about it. And then you quickly remember how good it is for you and the guilt goes flying out the window. That's how I feel about avocados. Creamy and full of fat- it's like the room temperature version of ice cream, except it's so much better for you than that Blizzard from Dairy Queen (yuck! Trans fats city!). 

When I first started dieting, I made a big mistake. Yes, I too make mistakes even though I may look like the picture of health. During my first few months of dieting, I cut back on my fat in-take way too much to try and save calories. Even the healthy fats, like olive oil, nuts, and avocados took a serious backseat so that I could eat more carbs and protein to fill me up. 

Since then, I have made a complete turn-around and have been eating more fats than ever before. A few months ago I would've been nervous to eat half of an avocado at one meal, but now I can't get enough. Since I've upped my fat intake, I've noticed that my mood is brighter and my personality is starting to remind me more of the person I was before my weight loss. Not that dieting and losing weight changed me into a miserable bitch, but there were definitely a lot of days where I was feeling antisocial, or not as fun-loving as I usually am. So I guess the answer to the meaning of life is fat? 

That being said, everything should be practiced in moderation. I would never just eat fats all day long, it's all about a balanced diet. I've come to discover that that balance is different for everyone. I may need more fats and protein than carbs, but the next person may need a lot more carbs for their optimal diet. My motto is eat everything. Have your fats (mostly healthy!), lean proteins, whole-grains, vegetables, and fruits everyday. Learn to listen to your body and see what kind of balance it functions best on. Everyone's body is uniquely different, so why would we all follow the same diet? I may be a vegetarian, but that may not be the best lifestyle for a lot of people. What it comes down to is trusting your gut. 

Now on to the fat attack!

Taken with Instagram

Open-Faced Fiesta Veggie Burger
Boca Grilled Vegetable Burger
1 Slice whole-wheat bread, toasted
1/2 Avocado, sliced
Tomato, sliced
Red onion, sliced
Baby sweet pepper, sliced
Romaine leaf
2 Tbsp. Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt
Hot sauce
Lime juice

Everything is pretty self-explanatory, except the spicy faux-sour cream that I made from Greek yogurt. All it is is the greek yogurt, a few dashes of hot sauce, to taste, and the juice of half a lime. Then once everything is assembled, pour the sauce on top and dig in! A fork and knife is a must with this...and maybe even an empty room because it does get a little messy, but there's nothing wrong with a little mess in the kitchen. 

This meal really is a great balance for the average diet. Who knew the face of nutrition could fit on one slice of bread? Even if that nutrition had to be scooped up with a fork during consumption. 

Something to think about:
Do you have a balanced diet?
Are the fats you're eating healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment