Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fall Overhaul

Boy, have I been a busy little bee lately! I know I've neglected blogging, but lately whenever I seem to have a free second, there is always something else that needs crossing-off on my to-do list. 

So, here I am, with a free moment to finally blog again!

I should probably start by saying that I am so thrilled that Fall has arrived. Because Fall means pumpkins and I am obsessed with anything pumpkin flavored. 

In the mornings, I make sure I wake up early enough to make myself a filling breakfast that will stay with me throughout my classes. And this past week, with my trusty can of pumpkin by my side, I've been whipping up some interesting creations. 

To start, there was the Pumpkin Pie-Cake Oatmeal:

Taken with Instagram
1/2 c. Rolled oats
1/2 c. Canned pure pumpkin 
1/2 c. Water or milk
2 Egg whites
1 Tbs. Chia or flax seeds (optional-will need more water if using)
Pumpkin pie spice and/or cinnamon
Pecans for topping (optional

1. Mix oats, pumpkin, water, chia seeds, and spices into a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes.
2. While the oatmeal is cooking, separate two egg whites and whisk them so they get frothy.
3. Let the oats cool for a minute and then slowly pour in the egg white, stirring constantly and quickly until everything is incorporated. Then return your oats to the microwave and heat for another minute, watching to see if the "cake" rises. Continue to microwave until oats seem firm. 
4. Be careful because it will be very hot. And just a warning, you will not be able to stir the oats because the steam from the "cake" will cause then to get a little watery at the bottom. Just eat it like you would a piece of cake-one section at a time. 

This bowl of oats was super delicious and truly filling. I think I ate it around 7am and wasn't hungry until 12! That's a new record for my new metabolism. 

But if this seems like a lot of work and you just want pumpkin in your oatmeal, just make your oats how your normally would and add in 1/4-1/2 c. of pumpkin, depending on your taste. 

This morning I had this lovely bowl of Peanut Butter Pumpkin Oatmeal:

Taken with Instagram

It's no secret that I love the creamy, nutty goodness of a spoonful of peanut butter, and the combination with the pumpkin sent my tastebuds into overdrive. 

1/3 c. Rolled oats
1/3 c. Canned pure pumpkin (estimated, it was all I hd left of my first can of pumpkin ): )
1/2 c. Water
2 Tbsp. Natural creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp. Chia seeds (optional)
Pumpkin pie spice and/or cinnamon

Just made the normal way! The melty peanut butter was so good I didn't want the bowl to end, but alas, it did, and I had a full belly to start my day. 

I can't believe it's almost October, but I'm definitely looking forward to wearing big comfy sweaters, drinking hot tea, and eating pumpkin until I burst in celebration of Fall and the oncoming holiday season!

Something to think about:
What are you most looking forward to in Fall?

I'm gonna queue up some more blog posts to help keep the food coming while I'm so busy, so stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment