Serves 4 main dishes, 6-8 sides
- 1c. dry quinoa, rinsed
- 4c. water (low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth can be used also)
- 3c. chic peas, rinsed (2 cans)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I use Hunt's No Salt Added with garlic, oregano, and basil
- 4 big handfuls of kale, chopped*
- 1c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1/2c. mozz. + 1/2c. ricotta would also be tasty now that I'm thinking of it...)
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt, pepper, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, all to taste
2. Once the quinoa has absorbed about 90% of the water, add the chic peas, tomatoes, seasonings, and stir to combined.
3. Add the kale and drizzle with a little bit of O.O., then stir until incorporated.
4. Once the kale has turned a dark green, add the cheese and stir. Serve hot once cheese is melted.
*I found a big bag of chopped kale at a Stop and Shop by my house last week and I'm surprised how long it has stayed fresh and how many meals I've gotten out of it. Definitely easier and possibly less expensive then buying an entire bunch and then having to chop and de-stem yourself.
This makes a great vegetarian main, or it could easily be a side dish that accompanies a grilled or broiled chicken dish. Nevertheless, it's fast and easy, and so is the clean up!