Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Faster, Easier, Healthier

So I've got a recipe that's more of a guideline. It can be made for lunch or dinner, as a sandwich or salad, and, excluding the base, the ingredients can be whatever you have on hand.

For many people, tuna salad becomes a dieting staple, but for the most part, it is usually made with way too much mayonnaise. Many also forget the high mercury content in tuna, so it really should be eaten in moderation. That being said, I made the switch a few months back to canned salmon. Canned salmon has a really mild flavor, so even if you aren't a big salmon fan, you probably wouldn't even notice a difference. Salmon is also a great source of omega-3s, so I highly recommend giving it a chance for a tuna alternative.

And when I make salmon salad, I prefer using half a mashed avocado for the condiment portion. It's not that I think mayo is the devil, it's just that an avocado is more nutritionally dense (meaning it provides more nutrients  per calorie).



The base for my Salmon Salad recipe is 1 can of salmon, drained and 1/2 an avocado, mashed. That's it. Obviously, salt and pepper to taste (I really don't think it needs salt though because the salmon has been salted), but everything else is totally up to you!

Possible add-ins:
  • salsa
  • tomato
  • red onion
  • peppers (sweet, hot, or roasted)
  • mixed greens
  • sprouts
  • sriracha
  • cucumber
  • carrots
  • anything else in your pantry or fridge!
The last time I made salmon salad I stuffed it in a whole wheat pita with onions, peppers, sriracha, and sprouts. I just love the creaminess an avocado gives as opposed to mayonnaise. Trust me, once you try it, you'll become a convert too.



No comments:

Post a Comment