Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Simple and Flavorful

I may consider myself a vegetarian, but I also eat fish, so technically I'm a pescetarian. But I rarely tell people that, simply because of the confused looks I get in response. 

Anyway, I love salmon. It's one of my favorite fishes and it's full of nutrients like the healthy omega-3 fatty acids and rich protein. And as far as seafood goes, it's on the lower end of the scale for mercury count (even lower if you eat canned tuna). Not only is it good for you, but it has a lot of great flavor, so simple seasoning can take a filet a long way. The texture of salmon is also a good deal firmer than most other fish, so if you're a big meat eater, then salmon is a great choice for a fast and healthy dinner. 

Honey-Mustard Salmon with Indian-Spiced Zucchini 

Usually when I make salmon, I season it with an Italian blend of seasonings, like garlic, lemon, basil, thyme, rosemary, etc., or more often then not, I go with a spicy blend that includes garlic, crushed red pepper, and hot sauce. But sometimes I'm in the mood for something different. 

Honey-Mustard Salmon
4-6oz. Salmon filet
Garlic, minced, to taste
2 tsp. Spicy brown mustard
1 tsp. Honey 
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. 
2. Place fish on a baking sheet that is lined with non-stick foil. Season salmon with all ingredients. Amounts listed are very general, so just eyeball and taste to see what you prefer more or less of. 
3. Cook salmon in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, depending on size. Do not over cook your fish, so keep checking on it  until the entire outside is a light pink color, this way the fish will remain most. If you aren't sure if the fish is done, cut it in half at the thickest section to see if it is cooked through. (Note: eating salmon that is a little rare in the center is perfectly safe, the fish will be more moist and will finish cooking even after you've taken it out of the oven.)

I just love to eat salmon, I wish I could eat it every week! Just keep in mind when shopping for salmon, or any kind of fish, that fresh is always best. Always check at your grocery store to see if the fish that you're about to buy has been previously frozen or not. I always buy fresh fish when it's on sale, this way I can portion it out, and freeze pieces for later meals. There are so many things to keep in mind when buying and consuming seafood, so if you're a lover of our yummy friends from the ocean, make sure you do some research on mercury content and wild-caught versus farm-raised fish. 

Something to think about: Do you get your daily dose of omega 3's from fish or fish oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment