Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Beginning

Hello, all! Since it is the New Year, I figured I would share a new recipe. 

Most New Year's resolutions revolve around weight loss, getting active, or eating better. I think it's pretty safe to say that most people who made these resolutions get discouraged or lose track of their goals after the first few weeks. The only reason I don't like declaring resolutions is because there's no reason to wait until the first of January to get healthy. Nevertheless, I do think it is a good idea to make your resolutions known, this way you become accountable for the decisions you make around friends and family. 

Weight loss is all about commitment and patience. Slipping up, or enjoying a favorite food doesn't mean you have to toss your goals aside and hop on the guilt train. Realizing that your diet won't be perfect is the first step. During the holidays I indulged in my fair share of sweets and delicious baked goods, but I don't feel at all guilty about it and even though I may have gained a few pounds, I would do it all again in a heart beat. It's never too late to turn over a new leaf. 

That being said, I have fallen head over heels for this new smoothie I have concocted. Enter the Creamy Green Protein Smoothie


Taken with Instagram

  • 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I used Vanilla Sunwarrior
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1 c. unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
  • 1 handful of blueberries (or other fruit)
  • 1/2 an avocado
  • 2 BIG handfuls of spinach
  • 1 Tbsp. chia or hemp seeds (optional)
  • Splashes of water to preferred consistency (I eyeball to about a 1/3-1/2 c.)
  • Dash of cinnamon (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Yields about two glasses, but serves one. 

This has become my new obsession post-gym. It truly is a meal in a glass that will fill you up, keep you full, and leave you feeling energized to conquer the day. It's funny, I use to laugh at people who drank protein shakes, but now I don't know how I would survive without them. If you don't use protein powder but still want to make this a protein smoothie, then you can add about a half a cup to a cup of Greek yogurt. But if you're planning on making this for post-work out fuel, I wouldn't recommend using dairy for your source of protein because it takes longer to digest and your muscles will need to be revived as soon as possible. 

My mother still thinks I'm nuts for adding things like avocado and spinach to smoothies, but their flavors are so mild that the sweetness from the fruit make you feel like you're drinking a super healthy milk shake. Not only is this great after a visit to the gym, but it even makes a great snack in between meals if you're trying to stick to a diet plan. Protein, healthy fats, fruits, and vegetables...need I say more? 



No comments:

Post a Comment